Tuesday, July 18, 2017

on momentum.

You can sleep when you die never vibed with me. I can fall asleep on a plane, on a bus, on a train or in the middle of a PD (well, almost).  I love sleep so much I often fantasize about it.


Last night, though, my new “big idea” cost me one hundred eighty minutes of potential blissful rejuvenation as I dedicated three hours to hashing out pros and cons, jolted by one delirious thought after another.  Tossing and turning, I wondered, how can I execute this idea ASAP?


This school year, I want to turn my classroom into a cozy coffee shop.  Well, sort of.  


You know, the feeling you get when you walk into a Starbucks or your favorite tea room?  Comfy chairs, rustic coffee tables, The Avett Brothers on the JBL’s and soft lighting to keep you in the mood to stay highly productive, without feeling rushed.  Books, journals, artwork and laptops galore.  


I want my kids to get that feeling in my classroom.


This is a far cry from my usual tight structure where sixth graders must get permission to throw away a piece of trash, but I’m starting to think that a coffee shop ambience with a few exercise balls and pillowed seating just might empower my middle schoolers to take ownership of their learning.  


Perhaps the more choices they have, the more comfortable they feel, the more academic risks they’ll take.   The research is there and so is my enthusiasm.  Who knows though. Who really knows.  


My purpose, here, is not just to share my new “big idea,” but to be honest with you and myself that the momentum of my summer-inspired big ideas usually breathe their last breath by October.  Reality disappoints my original vision and I abandon it for the next “big idea.”  


Although three months shows some solid dedication, in education time it’s really not that long.  Depending on the idea, changing behaviors of one student or yourself is hard, but changing a class of thirty, plus giving your own habits a make-over is quite a feat.  


Sustaining momentum is crucial in education, yet it can also feel impossible.  Teachers know that exhaustion and self-doubt can be reason enough to let go of summer-inspired visions.


This year, I plan to fight the uncomfortability of it all,  in hopes of a better learning experience for my students and professional growth for myself.  


Tonight, I’m sending love to all of the visionaries who dream the dreams.  Now let’s make them happen!  Power to the teacher.     



1 comment:

  1. Ahh! Love this!! Let me know if you want to talk more about this or want help with ideas, set up, or where to get items.

    ReplyDelete