Tuesday, July 25, 2017

on making new friends.

When you’re a kid, riding bikes and sharing Skittles makes friend-making easy.  


Growing older, I realize how my various friends reflect so much of who I’ve become.  There’s my homegirls, sisters till the end, the ride or die crew that would cover up a murder in the name of loyalty.  Homegirls don’t need to keep in touch on the regular...they are simply in touch.


Then there’s the college crew, the post-college posse and soon after, the career comrades.   


Hopping from city to city for most of my twenties opened doors to some lifelong friendships but also offered short-term ones that provided the strength, trust and all-out silliness I needed, we all needed, especially in the teacher trenches or celebratory triumphs.  


Tearful goodbyes evolved into, “Until next time…” and whether or not we crossed paths again, we knew that the things we’d miss most about each other would live on...somehow.  Maybe even through our future students.  


Spending most of my career in the charter world, I’m no stranger to teacher turnover.  Every once in awhile though, you encounter a core-shaking friend that just gets you, who embraces your moments of hopeful cynicism and brushes off your “two-hours of sleep ‘cause the baby’s teething” brain farts.  


When those special teacher friends come along, you feel less alone on the tough days.  You feel fiercer on the great days and inventive, rather than crazy, on the unexpected days.  


As New Orleans’ summer PD’s roll out their team builders, meeting norms and planning protocols this month, I’m forced to face the reality that my number one comrade is gone.  No glares, giggle fits or ELA epiphanies.  Just me laughing at my own jokes.  


And shortly after my sporadic pity parties, I remember that I have other pretty amazing teacher friends on staff, and there’s potential for some new positive professional relationships.  Maybe even new friendships.   


In these moments, I remind myself that:


  1. We might make new friends, but we won’t replace old ones.  
  2. Real friendships take time.
  3. Being open about our passions and values give opportunity for like-minded people to gravitate towards each other.
  4. Career comrades aren’t mandatory for workplace happiness; non-teacher friends and family have a whole lotta love and support to give.  


For most of us, friendships just happen.  And for such a natural process, it’s incredible how much friendships can empower us to be who we never thought we could be.

True friends see the strength in you when you don’t see it...the potential in you when you don’t feel it...and have the faith in you when you just can’t.   

Past, present or future, our friends become part of who we are.  We become apart of who they are.  As the school year approaches, I need to remember that for our kids, too, good friendships are essential to daily life.  


And since my number one teacher comrade is on to new adventures, maybe a new friend will keep me in check...Power to the teacher!


No comments:

Post a Comment