Tuesday, January 3, 2017

on work conditions.

Shifting through the makeshift cardboard teacher mailbox cubbies, I spotted a sparkling gold envelope with my name on it.  Jamming my pinky under the flap, I ripped open the envelope to reveal the supersized gold star card cover with my principal’s handwriting inside.  “Thank you for your perseverance this week, it’s much appreciated!”  Normally I would’ve been grateful for the kind words, but today was not the day.  

That September, the heat index steadied strong at ninety degrees for three days straight and my students and I were still without AC. If you dared enter our classroom , the steaming body odor could knock the wind out of you. And the hot and bothered teacher, trying to pretend she wasn’t melting, just might wipe off a sweat saturated desk chair so you may sit in on the math lesson.  

The wall-mounted air conditioning unit died two weeks prior and three roaring fans were expected to keep us cool all day.  Advocating for my students health and my own sanity, the only option was to move to a supply-closet sized alternative classroom until the repair was made.  We spent weeks in a pint-sized space until October arrived and the AC became obsolete.  I wonder if they ever replaced it.  Either way, I wish the greeting card read, “Thank you for your perseverance, the AC unit will be replaced tomorrow.”  

Other less than stellar work conditions, in years past, included one school climate where students sprinted hallways, got in fist fights daily and would bring me sighs of relief if I got through a day with only one f-u to my face.  Then there was the school where my schedule offered absolutely zero teacher break time.  Eat your lunch with kids to supervise, attend support elective teachers during your prep to build relationships.  One year, I went to work with near vomit chunks spewing from my mouth, just to avoid the teacher-shaming of calling in sick.

Thankfully, now, I’m in a positive and supportive work environment. Teaching is hard wherever you go, but is also the most rewarding. It’s almost that time of year where we have conversations about intending to return to our school..or not.  The American proverb sometimes rings true; the grass is always greener on the other side.  

Considering making a change?

  1. Relationships have seasons.  Think of your teaching role as a long-term relationship. My friend, Kelley, once said it best.  Relationships have seasons.  Just because it’s dark and stormy, doesn’t mean you should breakup.  Are you and your beau in rainy weather, or are you just plain living in the Sahara Desert? You’ve invested so much, will starting all over be better?  There may be plenty more fish in the sea, but could you repair your current relationship and come out stronger for it?
  2. Send in a spy.  Do you have a friend that’s recruiting you to join his teaching team?  Sit down for some real talk and compare and contrast your school with his. No one on the inside? This is a bit sneaky, but there’s no better way to gain a pulse of a school than from a surprise visit.  Ask a close friend or significant other to pose as a “prospective parent” for a school tour and have him take notes on the school climate of the new school you’re considering.  
  3. Consider your health. If your work situation is physically making you ill, then finish the year and get out. Keep in mind that school settings vary.  Don't let one school ruin your love of teaching, you will find the right fit eventually.  

Relationships with your students and with your staff, take time to build.  Leaving takes courage, but so does staying.  I hope you find the right path for you in 2017.  

No comments:

Post a Comment