Tuesday, December 20, 2016

on passion.

The extended caffeine release from day-old black coffee trickled through my bloodstream.  Lauryn Hill’s voice on the speakerbox, dim lights, students trickling in with mostly chill demeanors, pencils sharpened, buses on time. Clicking through my recently refined morning slideshow, proud of my preparedness, click, click, I smiled.  I had a good feeling about today.  


Within fifteen minutes, I was Michael Scott.  Michael Scott running a meeting. My students were now a bunch of Pams, Jims, Angelas, Kevins, Stanleys, Kellys, Merediths and Creeds, slumped in their chairs pretending to care what I said, just because I was the boss.  Thankfully, I had a few Dwights holding on, but not enough to persuade the others to listen.  


So much for my good feeling.  Clearly, the crispy, clean morning routine and class discussion I had planned went out the window.  “Okay, ten minutes of silent reading.”  That bought me some time to regroup and drift off.  Creative writing, that’s it.  Creative writing is the sweet spot that will get them back on track. The great escape- far from test prep and data trackers. Freedom. 


“Okay guys, check out the photograph on the board...”  Daily doses of creative writing would be my new passion project.  My students love creative expression and I love teaching creative writing.  In those Michael Scott moments, I can turn to creative writing to shine light on a defeating situation.  More importantly, I know expressive writing can improve mood, well-being, and reduced stress levels for students.  Later that week, I set aside some time for reflection on this new idea.  After a few reruns of The Office and some chats with friends, I had a plan for creative writing.  


What’s your next passion project?  


  1. Why did you become a teacher? Social justice? To spark curiosity in youth? To teach kids how to use their voices to make change happen? Do you love books and wanted to open the doors to the magical world of reading? Did you have an impressionable teacher and you wanted to pay it forward?  Whatever it was, are you doing it?  Getting in touch with your purpose and mission as an educator may help bring more value to the work you do each day.  You are a teacher for a reason.
  2. If you could impact one element of education right now, what would it be? First, think about your realm of control. The system is the system and though some are broken; focusing on what you can change right now is better energy spent.  Do you want your kids to be more independent thinkers? Do you wish your students had greater access to the arts? What if your class projects directly improved the local community? Identify one element you want to change and set out to change it.  Team up with like-minded educators and unite!
  3. What are your special gifts? Looking beyond your “teacher-self,” what are your strengths? Master chef? Dog lover? Green thumb? Film buff? Bringing your own interests and talents to the classroom engages not only your students, but it will ignite you.  Teaching should be fun!  Projects, research tasks, or informational articles on your passion topic can spice up any set of standards or prescriptive materials.  Lack of autonomy can be stifling, but sharing pieces of you in your work is empowering.  Just be sure to keep it standards-aligned.   Imagine what the students will gain by having an expert (yes-you) on the topic.


So what’s your thing? Take your passion and make it a real live thing. Your thing could become your new passion project for 2017.  Be faithful and loyal and love on that project daily.


You are a teacher for a reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment