Wednesday, September 20, 2017

on parent communication.


Backyard barbecues are where it’s at.  Burgers and beer, family and friends and (unless you’re grilling) nothing to do but kick back and catch up with your people.   


No matter the occasion, we are usually welcomed with the basics, like, “How’s your job going?” Or, “What’s new with you?”  And almost always, “How’s so and so doing?”  


These days, I’m usually greeted with inquiries about my baby girl, and I can’t help but wonder how these questions will evolve over time.  “How’s she doing in school?  Is she still dancing?”


Parental pride is something fierce.  Although I’m still a rookie, there’s no denying that sprinkled over the cupcake of unconditional love, lies pride.  


In education, I sometimes have to remind myself that this is someone’s child.  After mentally running through the phone conversation, but before I press call on the saved parent contact, I take a deep breath.  Be honest, Kelli, but don’t be harsh.  This is someone’s kid.  


Wishing I reported more positive behaviors to parents, I recently asked myself...why don’t I?  


Making a pros and cons list, I came up with six pros and just one con.  The obvious con will go unnamed because we all just know.


Pros for Increasing Positive Parent Calls
  1. Praising students to parents may improve parent/child relationships.
  2. Praising students to parents may improve teacher/student relationships.
  3. Valuing academic or social/emotional student accomplishments reinforces positive behaviors in the classroom.  
  4. Calling home about school, might bring conversations about student learning to a family’s 21st century “dinner table.”   
  5. Taking the time to acknowledge the little things, may build self-confidence, especially in students who need it.  
  6. Kids who always do the right thing want their parents to know, too.   

In this reflection, I’ve dared myself to take on a ten day challenge.  Contact one parent per day regarding positive student behavior. Ten days, two school weeks.  

I dare you to do the same...  You just might change backyard barbecue conversation for months!  

How’s Jacob doing?
Oh, he’s so good.  His teacher just called about how he always asks great questions in science class.  Tell em, baby.  Tell ‘em about science!  (insert proud mama grin)

And who knows, becoming habitual about positive parent phone calls might lift our teacher spirits, too.

Power to the teacher.   

1 comment: